I’ve been using this ‘solution’ for my home office for years now. It’s always worked really well for me as it offers loads of storage space. Folks are surprised when I tell them that my desk is actually just a few components of an Ikea kitchen.
My desk is made up of 1x FAKTUM cabinet with shelves, 1 x FAKTUM cabinet with drawers, and a LAGAN solid wood (beech) worktop. However, Ikea have recently revised their entire kitchen range and as a result, the names and sizes of these components have changed. See notes below for more details.
I subsequently replaced the LAGAN worktop with a deeper/larger piece of veneered MDF from a building supply store. The old LAGAN has now been repurposed as a breakfast table in our kitchen. One of the things I liked most about the LAGAN was that it was only 600mm deep, which made the desk sleek and compact – an absolute necessity in my previous workspaces, however, my current space allows for a much bigger desk so I decided to super-size things a little.
My ‘new model’ desktop is only 200mm deeper but it makes a world of difference with a healthier distance between me and my iMac monitor. One small problem with my new size is that I now have an approximate 200mm void between the back of the cabinets and the wall. I am considering some storage ideas in there. Watch this space.
A few things to note:
- Further to Ikea’s recent launch of their modified kitchen range, and the subsequent discontinuation of the specific FAKTUM cabinets I used, the replacement parts would be: 1 x METOD base cabinet with shelves (400mm wide), 1 x METOD base cabinet with drawers (400mm wide) and 1 x HAMMARP worktop (METOD range of cabinets was previously known as FAKTUM and HAMMARP worktop was previously known as LAGAN).
- As of May 2014, the US Ikea website does not yet show the METOD range. In this case, you can use 1 x AKURUM base cabinet with shelves (15 inches wide), 1 x AKURUM base cabinet with drawers (15 inches wide) and 1 x NUMERÄR beech countertop (73 inches wide), or your preferred selection.
- I installed RILL casters under the cabinets on my desk, however, at 800mm / 31 inches tall, the new METOD cabinets are higher than that of a standard office desk (approx 750mm / 29 inches) and will therefore work best with a chair that offers adjustable seat height. AKURUM cabinets are 770mm / 30 3/8 inches tall.
- The desk length is entirely up to you. You can use it as is or have it cut to the correct size.
- When planning the size of your desk, bear in mind that the two cabinets of 400mm each will take up 800mm and you will require a space of at least 500mm (or a space slightly larger than the width of your chair) between them.
- For maximum stability, use screws to secure the worktop to the cabinets.